Monday, October 24, 2011

Talk of Old Men......

  
My grandparents. L-R: Mom's mom & dad's parents



Today (well Sunday) I spent some time having a meal/day together with my grandparents. To say the least, each of them is quite the character! Often while in St. Louis I thought I had greatly missed out in bonding with them as a child and establishing a more solid relationship and memories with them. Although I can never get those 10 years back I don't think it's too late to find out who these people who raised my parents are. In fact, I hold each of them very near my heart, particularly my grandmothers who both have such brilliant stories regarding faith, sacrifice and marriage.

To write about each of them would take probably a few posts but today, something struck me quite loudly about an understanding between them and the people my parents are. To be more specific something struck me between who my grandfather is and who my dad is now.

My grandfather has never been one to claim religion as something for him. It's something quite obvious for anyone who engages in a conversation with him, even if for only 5 minutes. He is hesitant to use the word "God", instead boasting of the the dependance we ought to have in nature, usually by followed by an encouragement to visit the cabin he owns in a nearby town in the woods. He has been this way all his life, working on the trucking business, seeing his kids grow up on weekends between jobs, never stepping a foot in a church unless forced.It's been a whole life of such mentality and conviction regarding religion, God and the Catholic Church. I write this in no sense to be critical or uncharitable, I love him dearly and God has been so good to us as to allow for his health to be so good at nearly 90.

However, as facts stand I've grown to understand a bit more of the background my dad had growing up. The faith arrived from his mother most surely and he never saw his father take an active role in raising them, or an active role as a faith leader .My father is a wonderful man, however I've seen traces of very active criticism for the Church, and a few times flavors of anti-clericalism growing up. After spending the day with my grandfather my dad's faith journey was really hugely highlighted for me.

Again, this is a much much longer story, already so limited by my perspective of daughter. However, as of recent months, year, my dad has shown initiatives in spiritual growth that never in my life had I seen. Compared with the figure my grandfather is, and even most of uncles, it is that much more beautiful and joyful for me. Today, a few hours after seeing my grandfather and politely smiling as he spoke of priests chasing after girls and other similar "pleasant" comments, I received a phone call from my dad in St. Louis sharing with me his enrollment as a future knight in the first meeting of the Knights of Columbus in my home parish and further discernment and enthusiasm with this group.  I could hardly believe what he was telling me over the phone and yet there is a great great hope in me that he can grow in the openness and change of heart I've heard in the past few months. I can only keep encouraging him through words and prayers; in offering up the sadness it is to not have them with me.

What greater gift could I receive than to be able to witness a few hints of my dad's greater receptiveness and openness to God? Isn't that the whole purpose of a Christian life? To love and be loved by God and to respond in this love...  Praised be God for all of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment